Monday, December 6, 2010

Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake

Yesterday I finally tackled the Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake from Chronicle Books' new cookbook Flour. I've been meaning to make this for weeks! I only have a handheld mixer (hopefully not for much longer) and the 8-10 minutes of beating was looking particularly daunting. But the motor and I slugged on through and out came a delicious loaf. I slightly overcooked mine, which seems to be my defining baking trait (jealous?), but it turned out wonderful nonetheless. The glaze brings just the right amount of zingy lemon flavour to it. I brought the leftovers in to work today and it was demolished in record time! I got one marriage proposal from the mailman. One can only imagine what would have happened if I hadn't overcooked it...

My poor mixer put to the test

Next thing on my list was a French loaf. I treated my mom and I to a bread baking course last week at a community centre (a VERY belated mother's day gift). So today I put my newly acquired skills to the test. I did everything as directed. I kneaded and rolled and shaped. What greeted me after the second rising were two gargantuan loaves of French bread. Misshapen behemoths. But they taste great, especially with a bit of old cheddar. Yum. The only thing I'd do differently next time would be to add an egg wash.

The reflection foreshadows the monstrosity that this bread would become

My "dainty" French loaf

No comments:

Post a Comment