Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Vanessa and Apricot-Pistachio Tart

Today we finally got to make the notorious Vanessa cake, which Chef F mentioned in almost every class last term. Upon tasting it the first time, I wasn't the biggest fan. The Marquise au Chocolat from last term will forever remain my favourite chocolate mousse cake. However, the next day I think the flavours had a chance to fully develop and I couldn't put my fork down.

I hit upon a bit of a block when trying to decorate today's cakes. I had fully planned the plated desserts, but could find no inspiration for the big cakes. It was only with Chef H yelling out to finish up that I threw on some last minute decor. Not my finest products.

The Vanessa consists of a bottom layer of chocolate sponge covered in chocolate mousse with a jellied vanilla creme brulee insert. The whole is covered in dark chocolate glaze. I decorated mine with some pate sucree triangles and bubble sugar. Chef H noted that my glaze seems a little dotted - I may have overboiled it and eva

Chef seemed to like my plated dessert. I piped chocolate all around it and decorated the entrement with pastry discs, bubble sugar, dark chocolate and gold flakes.

The Apricot-Pistachio Tart seems to me a bit of a cacophony of flavours, but it really works all together in the end. The pate sucree is covered in a layer of almond cream with apricots throughout and baked, then streussel is sprinkled on top and it's baked once more. Once it has cooled, a layer of jellied pistachio creme brulee is added. 
My plated dessert is a little rougher than the Vanessa. I didn't have time to caramelize the apricots, which would have added a new depth of flavour and colour to the plate.  I also find the mini disc of creme brulee is too small for the tart. We should have used something a little bit bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment