Monday, February 11, 2013

Chocolate Truffle Tart and Maple Oatmeal Scones

Continuing with the daunting task of tackling every recipe from the cookbook Flour, I made a chocolate truffle tart this weekend and it was absolutely spectacular. I played it pretty safe and followed the recipe exactly, except I couldn't resist adding a little bit of hazelnut powder to the crust. The crust was a real pain to work with and I'm not quite sure if it's because the additional hazelnut powder makes it too dry. Regardless, the dough kept cracking as I rolled it and ended up being a rough patchwork job. The chefs at school would have cringed to see it.


The tart turned out beautifully, though. There was just a hint of nuttiness from the crust that offset the richness of the chocolate very well. The filling was rich and smooth. I recommend using a very good quality cocoa powder to dust the top and eat with a dollop of whipped cream on the side. A true chocolate lover's dream dessert.


Next up on my list was the recipe for Maple Oatmeal Scones. They're not quite your normal scone recipe. Filled with raisins and chunks of pecans, these scones are really rich and hearty, and the maple glaze on top adds just a little bit of decadence. Paired with a hot cup of coffee, this makes for a really great way to start the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment