Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chocolate Candies


They don't look so bad from here, but those chocolates caused me no end of grief during the practical. I sat through the demo, brimming with confidence. I've made chocolate truffles and candies every Christmas for the last three years. I felt like it was in the bag - I would finish this practical earlier than anyone else with a beautiful product!

Sadly, that was not the case. The kitchen we had to use had just been vacated by a cuisine group and it was boiling hot. I swear it was +30 C in that room. And everything that could go wrong, seemed to happen. The ganache wouldn't set quick enough, then it set too much. Tabling the chocolate took a full twenty to thirty minutes until my arm felt like it would fall off. The muscadines were so soft they fell to pieces when you dipped them. The chocolate wouldn't set quick enough so little fork marks were all over the truffles. The rochers were perfectly dipped, then as they chilled the filling started to poke out of the chocolate like little worms. So frustrating! In the end, not my most successful practical.

Here are a few photos of the chocolates the Chef made.




No comments:

Post a Comment