Saturday, July 21, 2012

Macarons for the Family


The in-laws are coming to town and I'm going to greet them with an army of macarons! Phil had asked me to make some little treats to give them some energy on their camping trip in Gatineau Park. I decided to make macarons again because I just can't get enough of them. So crunchy and delicate, and incredibly addictive. Everytime I pass by the fridge, they call out to me.

I was really enthusiastic about the project and dove right into a double batch. Not exactly the best idea when I only have a single shelf in my tiny oven. The counters and table in the kitchen were covered with pans full of macarons waiting for their turn in the oven. This batch wasn't my best - I didn't macaronner the batter enough, so some of them had little hats. I also think that their extended wait on the counter developing that "skin" on top resulted in an airy space between the foot and the top of the macaron. I brought one to Chef H at school the next day and he says that my oven is too hot - I have to reduce the temperature from 250F to 220F.

These ones are filled once again with salted caramel. I find the salt cuts the sweetness of the macaron and the caramel just beautifully. I attempted to make some praline ganache to fill half of the macarons but it refused to set properly. It's destined to become praline truffles tomorrow.

The macarons were a huge success with the in-laws. We brought them along with us to Gatineau Park, where we spent the day lounging on the beach and enjoying amazing food. What is better than a simple burger and salad enjoyed on a park bench?

In the evening, around a blazing fire with a cup of hot coffee in one hand, we finally cracked open the box of macarons. I had packed 4 cookies for everyone, and thank goodness I did. They really didn't last long. Phil's four-year-old cousin kept sneaking over to get more while his parents weren't looking. By 8:00 he was running around the campsite in circles from all the sugar he'd eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment