Monday, July 30, 2012

Delice Caramel


It was not a good day... I had absolutely no desire to go to school today - not really a good way to start the day.

The demo went smoothly enough and everyone seemed pretty confident that they could complete this cake. After all, we all were able to make the dreaded Blood Orange Cake last week - "The Hardest Cake". We were feeling invincible! But as I walked up those stairs to the practical kitchen, my stomach just started twisting and I felt really uneasy. Maybe it was some sort of premonition, because that practical was the worst one we've had yet.


The two-toned chocolate cigarettes proved nearly impossible for everyone in the room. I lucked out and managed to make a few ugly thick ones while my classmates looked on in envy. I barely managed to pipe all of the required ladyfinger sponge onto my pan and the resulting rounds were almost an inch too small for the cake. My plated dessert was a dismal failure - the pear mousse at the top didn't set properly, so I covered the sloppy white mess with a caramelized pear (I refused to take a picture of the darn thing, though). My cake went in to the freezer a full 45 minutes before presentation time and yet I somehow managed to present a good 10 minutes late. I was a lucky one. Some of our classmates presented a good 35 minutes late. Chef H was understandably not in the best of moods when we left... and still had another practical to go with the other group. He's off on a much-needed vacation next week and probably can't wait to go after our performance tonight.

There were only two things I am proud of about this cake: 1) my caramel sauce is awesome; and 2) I got the layers of creams exactly the same. When I cut into the cake at home I did a little dance of joy seeing the perfectly even layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment